Myopia Control: Your Child's Passport to a World of Clarity
As parents, we want nothing more than to see our children thrive. But what if their vision is at risk? Myopia is a growing concern worldwide. By 2050, it's estimated that over half the world's population will have myopia. At Diamond Valley Optical, our optometrists are here to help your little one see clearly with expert myopia management services.
What is Myopia and How Does It Affect Vision?
Myopia, commonly known as nearsightedness, is when distant objects appear blurry while close-up ones remain clear. Myopia can hinder kids' ability to see the whiteboard at school or enjoy the great outdoors. Moreover, it could impact their overall development and future eye health.
What Are the Causes of Myopia?
Although the exact cause of myopia isn't clear, several risk factors are believed to contribute to the development of nearsightedness in children:
- It Runs in The Family: One of the main culprits is genetics. If Mum, Dad, or even Nanna and Pop had myopia, there's a higher chance that the little ones might get it, too.
- All Those Screens: These days, kids are glued to screens, whether it's for schoolwork or video games. Too much screen time, especially without breaks, can increase the risk of myopia.
- Get 'Em Outdoors: Kids need their dose of sunshine. Lack of outdoor playtime can contribute to myopia.
- Close-Up Activities: Reading in dim light or holding books too close to their noses can strain their little eyes.
Detecting Myopia in Your Little Legend
Kids don't always have the words to express vision issues. As a parent, it's your job to keep an eye out for these signs in your little champ:
- Squinting like a bush kangaroo
- Starts holding books, screens, or toys real close to their nose
- They can't see what's written on the board at school
- Struggling to see clearly at night
- Excessive eye rubbing
- Headaches after homework
- Their school performance takes a dive
- If myopia runs in the family
It's essential to consult with an optometrist for a proper diagnosis if you notice these signs in your child.
Myopia Control with a Personal Touch in Diamond Creek
At Diamond Valley Optical, we offer a range of myopia management options to help your child see a bright future. From orthokeratology, which gently reshapes their eyes while they sleep, to vision therapy that sharpens their focus, we've got the tools to help.
We're parents, too, and we get it. Your little ones' eyes are a big deal. So, let's chat about myopia control options that fit your family's lifestyle. Together, we can help them see clearly and embrace the world's beauty without missing a beat. Because every child deserves a bright future, and it starts with clear vision.